Lyft Accident Lawyer West Palm Beach, Florida
If you or a loved one has been hurt in a Lyft accident in West Palm Beach, Florida, you may have a range of questions about insurance coverage and whether you may be entitled to receive a recovery under the law. Smith & Vanture, LLP are Lyft accident attorneys in West Palm Beach, Florida who work closely with victims and families, helping them make Lyft insurance claims so that they can receive the recovery they may deserve under the law. Lyft accident insurance claims can sometimes be complex, because they may involve claims through multiple insurers. Lyft’s insurance only applies in certain circumstances, which can lead to confusion for victims and even Lyft drivers during the claims process. If you’ve been in an accident, either as a Lyft driver, a passenger, or as a third party injured in a crash with a Lyft, you may have important rights under the law. However, you may only have a limited amount of time to make a claim under the law. Visit Smith & Vanture, LLP, Lyft accident lawyers in West Palm Beach, Florida today to learn more about your rights and options.
I was in a Lyft Accident in West Palm Beach, Florida
If you were in a Lyft accident, it is important to take steps to protect your rights. Whether you are a Lyft driver, were a passenger, or were another driver involved in an accident, there are steps you can take following a Lyft crash to protect your interests. Here are some things to consider:
- Call the police. Even if the accident appears minor, and there appear to be no injuries, it is still important to make a police report. Some injuries can take days or weeks before they become apparent. If you fail to make a police report, this can create problems later if you need to make an insurance claim. A Lyft driver may not want to report the accident to Lyft or to the authorities to protect his or her appearance as a safe driver. In some cases, it is left up to the passenger or other driver to make a police report. Don’t assume an accident is minor until police have performed a proper investigation. Always report an accident to the police.
- Contact Lyft’s “safety team.” Lyft notes that accidents should be reported to 911 in the event of an emergency, but to get the ball rolling for insurance claims, the Lyft driver will need to report the accident to Lyft. Here, it is everyone’s responsibility to take action. Don’t assume that the Lyft driver will report the accident.
- Gather information at the scene of the accident. Get the other driver’s license plate, and if you are a Lyft passenger, gather the Lyft driver’s license plate and other identifying information. Collect information about the other driver’s insurance. If you are a Lyft passenger, you’ll want to gather information from both drivers involved in the accident. Don’t assume one or the other driver is liable. Get both drivers’ information and let the police and insurance policies sort it out later. If other people witnessed the accident, record their contact information as well.
- If you are a driver, and were carrying a passenger, your insurance policy is your policy, not your personal policy. Provide this information to your passenger and to the police.
- Contact the qualified Lyft crash lawyers at Smith & Vanture, LLP in West Palm Beach, Florida today to learn more about your rights following a Lyft accident. Navigating the insurance claims process can be complex. A Lyft accident lawyer like Smith & Vanture, LLP in West Palm Beach, Florida can help you navigate the claims process, so that you can focus on what matters—healing and recovering following your crash.
What You Need to Know About Lyft’s Auto Insurance
Lyft’s insurance policy can be sometimes complex to navigate, especially if you’ve never made a claim before. A Lyft driver will either make a claim against his or her policy, his or her personal policy, or if another driver is at fault, the other party’s insurance may be responsible. It can be challenging enough when two drivers are involved in an accident to determine which policy will cover the claim. But when you add Lyft’s additional insurance, the claims process can become even more complex. How does Lyft’s insurance policy work?
- Lyft’s Coverage Gets Denied. Lyft’s coverage won’t apply if the driver was using his or her vehicle for personal use. This means that the application was turned off. In this case, the driver’s personal policy will be in effect. However, some personal insurance policies won’t cover Lyft drivers for accidents if they learn that the vehicle is used for commercial purposes. This is why it is important for Lyft drivers to be responsible and to be clear with their personal insurance company what their intended use for their vehicle is.
- Coverage When Lyft Application is Turned On. Some coverage applies when the driver has his or her Lyft application on, but has not yet accepted a rider. If the Lyft application is turned on and no rider is in the car, Lyft may ask drivers to make a claim with their personal insurance first. If the personal insurance doesn’t cover an accident, the policy may cover personal injuries up to $50,000 per person, and $100,000 per accident, as well as up to $25,000 for property damage. This coverage only applies if the Lyft driver is found to be at fault for the accident. If another driver is at fault, his or her coverage will be responsible for paying for damages.
- Coverage When a Lyft Driver Has Accepted a Ride. From the moment a Lyft driver accepts a ride request to the moment the driver drops off a rider, Lyft’s $1 million insurance policy is in effect. Lyft’s coverage will also cover damage to the driver’s vehicle minus a $2,500 deductible. Lyft’s coverage also will go into effect in the event another driver is responsible for the accident and the other driver is uninsured or underinsured.
Because there are so many levels of coverage that can apply for a Lyft driver in different scenarios, it is understandable that a driver might be confused about his or her own insurance coverage. If you or a loved one was hurt in a Lyft accident, or if you were a Lyft driver involved in a crash, it can be helpful to seek the counsel of Smith & Vanture, LLP, Lyft crash accident attorneys in West Palm Beach, Florida. Reach out to our firm today to protect your rights and learn more.