West Palm Beach Truck Accident Lawyers
The West Palm Beach, Florida truck accident lawyers at Smith & Vanture work closely with individuals who have been seriously injured in truck crashes. If you or someone you love was hurt in a truck accident, Smith & Vanture may be able to help. Truck accident claims can differ significantly from auto accident claims. Injuries can be more severe. Because of this, truck companies are required to hold higher limit insurance policies to protect them and passengers in the event of a crash. The laws governing commercial trucks and vehicles differ from the laws governing passenger vehicles. For example, truck drivers must abide by hours of service laws limiting how long a driver can be on the road in a given day. Truck companies must limit how heavy their loads must be, and drivers must pass rigorous physical exams. Trucks must undergo regular maintenance to ensure that everything is in working order.
A truck accident lawyer in West Palm Beach, Florida familiar with trucking laws can review the details of your accident, review the safety record of truck drivers and truck companies responsible for your accident, and fight to help you get the settlement you may deserve under the law. Because trucking laws are more rigorous than passenger vehicle laws, there might be more ways in which a truck company or driver can be negligent after a crash. The truck accident lawyers in West Palm Beach, Florida at Smith & Vanture work hard to help victims and their families seek justice after they have suffered injuries due to the neglect of a big truck company.
A passenger car is no match for an 80,000 pound, 75-foot-long commercial truck and it is no surprise that often these accidents result in death or serious injury to those in the car. Truck accidents are some of the most deadly accidents occurring on our roadways. In fact, according to the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration, there are over 5000 fatalities and 130,000 injuries from truck accidents each year. If you have been involved in a truck accident, it is important to have an experienced attorney on your side.
In 2021, the trucking industry brought in $875 billion in revenue. If the aviation industry or another major industry had this kind of safety record, there would likely be a great public outcry about its dangers. Despite this, people continue to die and be seriously injured in truck accidents every year. The semi-truck accident lawyers in West Palm Beach, Florida at Smith & Vanture are here to help you if you have been injured in a truck accident. Our truck accident lawyers fight big companies and hold them accountable when their negligence results in injuries or death. Big truck companies might have lawyers defending their interests. The West Palm Beach, Florida truck accident lawyers at Smith & Vanture are here to protect you.
Consequences of Truck Accidents in West Palm Beach, Florida
A truck accident can have major physical and psychological consequences for victims and families. You may have expensive medical bills that can cripple your family’s financial well-being. You may have a life-altering short-term or permanent disability. Your finances can also be affected by missed work or lost wages and by property damage that is not covered by insurance. An experienced West Palm Beach truck accident lawyer at Smith & Vanture is essential to building a successful case. From gathering evidence, obtaining hospital and medical records and other reports, to hiring expert witnesses if necessary to the case, you deserve to have your rights protected and Smith & Vanture leave no stone unturned in defending your rights.
Here are some ways a truck accident can affect victims and their families:
- Medical Expenses: Victims of truck accidents may be entitled to seek damages not only for emergency medical costs immediately stemming from their injuries, but for ongoing medical costs and expenses related to their accident.
- Rehabilitation and Nursing Care. Serious and disabling injuries may require long-term rehabilitation or nursing care. Victims of truck accidents may be entitled to seek damage for rehabilitation expenses, medical aids they require, and ongoing nursing care.
- Lost Wages. If you’ve missed time from work due to a truck accident, you may be able to seek damages not only for work you missed immediately after your accident, but for long-term issues you might experience as a result of your injury. Disability or serious injury may sometimes require a person to change career or not be able to return to work at all. You might be able to seek damages to assist you with receiving new training, or damages to cover lost wages.
- Pain and Suffering. A truck accident can have a major psychological impact on you or your family. Victims might suffer from PTSD or other mental health issues following a serious accident. If you are no longer able to care for children or elderly family members or are no longer able to participate in regular life activities or hobbies, this can also cause great emotional distress. You might be entitled to seek damages for pain and suffering if you were seriously injured in a truck crash.
The trucking company itself and its’ insurance companies will have as their primary goal to reduce your claim against the company. Don’t fight alone. Our experienced truck accident attorneys are here to help you fight the multi-million dollar trucking industry. If risks were taken by companies that push too hard to make money, putting the public at risk by pushing fatigued drivers and overloading trailers, our attorneys will uncover these mistakes. If you or a loved one has been injured in a truck accident in West Palm Beach, Florida, our experienced West Palm Beach truck accident attorneys are here to help.
Causes of Truck Accidents in West Palm Beach, Florida
The semi-truck accident lawyers in West Palm Beach, Florida at Smith & Vanture are skilled at investigating truck accident claims. We understand the common causes of truck accidents, and the corners that truck companies sometimes cut to protect their bottom lines. Yet, when truck companies cut corners, the result can sometimes be serious accidents and injuries for innocent passenger vehicles on the road. Here are some common causes of truck accidents in West Palm Beach, Florida, and some ways that the truck accident lawyers at Smith & Vanture may be able to help you.
- Failure to follow hours of service laws. When truck drivers fail to abide by federal hours of service laws, accidents can occur. Some studies indicate that driving while fatigued can be just as dangerous as drunk driving. The truck accident lawyers in West Palm Beach, Florida at Smith & Vanture can investigate drivers’ logs, investigate shipping schedules, and perform other investigations to determine if hours of service laws were violated prior to your truck crash.
- Failure to properly maintain vehicles. Truck companies have a responsibility to maintain their vehicles. This includes maintaining tires and brakes and performing regular maintenance. When truck companies fail to perform these services, accidents can occur. The semi-truck accident lawyers in West Palm Beach, Florida at Smith & Vanture can review maintenance records and determine whether maintenance issues or improper maintenance resulted in your accident. Sometimes third parties could be held liable if accidents occurred due to negligent maintenance.
- Failure to vet drivers. Truck drivers must meet medical requirements in order to drive safely. Some medications and medical conditions can affect a person’s ability to drive safely. Truck companies have a responsibility to make sure their drivers have a safe driving record and also to make sure they are healthy enough to be behind the wheel.
- Drug and alcohol use. Drunk driving and drug use can affect a driver’s safety. If drug use or alcohol use caused your truck accident, the truck accident lawyers in West Palm Beach, Florida at Smith & Vanture may be able to help you.
- Loading Issues. The law regulates the weights that trucks are permitted to carry. When trucks are imbalanced or improperly loaded, they can tip over, may fail to brake in time, and may have other issues. The West Palm Beach, Florida truck accident lawyers at Smith & Vanture can investigate your truck accident to determine if loading issues might have played a role.
These are just some of the potential causes of truck accidents. If you or someone you love was hurt in an accident, West Palm Beach, Florida, truck accident attorneys at Smith & Vanture are here to help you. Reach out to our truck accident law firm today to learn more.