The Center for Disease Control and Prevention says that over 460 pedestrians suffer traffic-related accidents every 24 hours in the United States. A pedestrian dies in an auto crash every two hours. In 2010, approximately 4,200 pedestrian fatalities from road accidents occurred.
How can pedestrians avoid road accident death or injuries? Several safety measures can help to protect citizens walking along the road:
• Avoid distractions: The use of portable entertainment gadgets or cell phones while walking increases the risk of people being knocked down by cars. Pedestrians must remain alert and watch for approaching vehicles.
• Alcohol use: In 2010, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention reported that one- third of pedestrians who died in auto accidents were drunk or intoxicated.
• Always look left and right before crossing the road.
• Ensure that the drivers see you by wearing reflective materials while in the dark.
• Keep to the sidewalk.
• Use pedestrian bridges or tunnels.
The Pedestrian Traffic Rules
The traffic laws detail the rights of pedestrians and drivers too. A pedestrian has the right-of-way in crosswalks. Drivers should yield to pedestrians within crosswalks before the changes of traffic signals. Motorists get the right-of-way along the roads when the pedestrian crosses the street in areas lacking crosswalks. Pedestrians cannot suddenly cross the streets or move into the way of autos. Further, residents cannot cross a road or intersection diagonally when traffic control devices bar such behavior.
Smith and Vanture Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
A West Palm Beach pedestrian accident lawyer will guide you on how to claim damages for bodily, harm, medical bills, loss of income, physical disabilities, or psychological trauma.
A pedestrian accident lawyer can also help when the pedestrian accidents lead to wrongful death. The attorneys will partner with the litigants to thoroughly investigate the crash. The idea is to have the at-fault party shoulder the responsibility of any negligent actions. Contact Smith & Vanture, LLP today to schedule your consultation.