$3.76 Million Verdict

$3.76 Million Verdict For a woman who was brutally attacked by two dogs in 2002. Jury found the City of Delray Beach, FL sixty percent (60%) at fault for the attack, for failing to take action when complaints were made regarding the dogs. The remaining forty percent (40%) was attributed to the dog owner.

To arrange a meeting to discuss your rights and options, contact Smith & Vanture at Law office online or call us at (561) 684-6330.

$1.5 Million Dollar Verdict

Georgia Accident

$1.5 Million Dollar Verdict for the family of a woman killed in a motor vehicle accident near Atlanta, Georgia.

The client’s mother was a passenger in a car that was struck from behind by a tractor-trailer truck. The vehicle that she was in was then pushed off the highway, down an embankment and into a heavily wooded area. The vehicle came to rest after striking a tree at high speed. The clients’ mother died at the scene.

The case was tried before a jury in Atlanta, Georgia. It is believed that the driver of the tractor-trailer truck fell asleep at the wheel. The driver denied that claim and he claimed that the vehicle that the Plaintiff was in slowed suddenly and unexpectedly. The jury determined that the driver of the tractor-trailer was 100% at fault for the accident.

The jury awarded the woman’s estate (including two surviving adult children) $1.5 Million. The Defendant appealed the jury’s verdict and it was upheld on appeal. The Defendant then had to pay an additional $300,000.00 in interest, bringing the total recovery to $1.8 Million.

The case was handled by Brian W. Smith of the firm’s West Palm Beach office, with the assistance of local counsel in Atlanta.

For all your legal needs and concerns in regards to Motorcycle Accident, contact West Palm Beach motor vehicle accident Lawyer at Smith & Vanture today! Call us at (561) 684-6330.

Confidential settlement

Anthrax Practical Joke

Confidential settlement for client who was the subject of a practical joke involving exposure to Anthrax. A manager at the Wal-Mart store where she worked told her that she had been exposed to Anthrax and needed to be tested. That turned out to be a practical joke, but client suffered from anxiety and depression as a result.

This incident occurred shortly after the national Anthrax scare in 2001. Due to extensive press coverage of the case, the parties agreed to keep the terms and amount of the settlement confidential.

The case was handled by Brian W. Smith of the firm’s West Palm Beach office.

$ 850,000 Settlement

Toe Amputation Case

$ 850,000 Settlement for a woman whose big toe had to be partially amputated after construction materials were dropped on her foot.

The client, a woman in her 40s, was waiting for an elevator in her office building. Workers for a construction company that was doing renovation work in the building dropped heavy construction materials on the client’s foot. Her big toe was smashed and, despite efforts to save it, the toe had to be amputated at the first joint.

The client had developed osteomyelitis (infection) in the big toe, which resulted in the need for antibiotic treatment administered through a port line placed in her chest. The atial amputation was performed after the antibiotic treatments were unsuccessful. The client was also diagnosed with RSD (Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome).

Brian W. Smith of the firm’s West Palm Beach office handled the case.

$1,000,000 Settlement

$1,000,000 Settlement for a man who was seriously injured while driving a tractor-trailer. His vehicle was cut off by a small car, whose owner carried minimal liability insurance. The claim settled with the client’s uninsured carrier for policy limits, based in part on the actions of the adjuster during the negotiation process. Among other injuries, the client suffered a fractured arm and partial loss of vision in one eye. He technically still met Federal vision requirements for truck drivers, but had changed jobs as result of his visual limitations

The case was handled by Brian W. Smith of the firm’s West Palm Beach office.